HISTORICAL TIMELINE - Toowong Harriers Athletics Club
The Toowong Harriers Athletics Club has a long and very proud past in Queensland and Australia's sporting history. It was a pioneer in the fledgling state of Queensland becoming their first Athletics and Harriers club, and has led the way for many others to come. As a club it has seen great comradery lasting through the years, as well as a starting place for many athletes who have gone on to international fame through Empire, Commonwealth and Olympic Games.
Today the club continues to foster those great values and virtues of athletes past, focusing on Excellence, Respect and Friendship in all aspects of life.
Brief Chronology of the Club.
Toowong Harriers was founded by Charles Campbell on 25th May, 1894. Charlie was Hon. Secretary and Treasurer – there were 14 Members. Venue was Toowong Sports Ground.
Charles Campbell – Born 20/9/1873, Died 21/1/1955.
The Qld. Amateur Athletic Association (North & South Associations) was formed in Rockhampton. It later declined and became one body, the Queensland Amateur Athletic Association (Q.A.A.A.)
Toowoong Harriers now have 60-70 Club Members.
Charlie Campbell, Wally Pritchard, Ben Burton, Phil Frankel & a few others club members become the Founders of the Queensland Amateur Athletic Association.
Charles Campbell chosen as Qld representative at Australasian Championships in Sydney. Competed in 440 and 880 yards & won both races.
Team won Cross-Country Championship at Ascot. Team: Messrs. F. Holt, T. Williams, I. Roes, J Wolfe, C.W. Reeve, S. Glassop.
The Club declined in numbers due to the War and the Depression and there were almost no juniors to provide seniors of the future. The Club barely surviving.
Cross-Country Championships held at Rocklea, Brisbane – run by Q.A.A.A.
Land at Robert Cribb’s Farm was named “Heroes Park”. Transferred to Council as a trust to operate as a park.
Carnival at Toowong Sports Ground to raise money to keep Club going. Attended by most of the Athletic Clubs from around Brisbane. There were two Q.A.A.A. events. The Carnival was a great success.
1939 – 1945
War years with depleted Membership numbers. “Old Timers” showed heart to keep up the enthusiasm to keep Club going.
The establishment and affiliation of the Toowong Little Athletics Centre, as a centre for the ongoing development of engagement and excellence in the pursuit of athletics for children 5-17 years.
Application for” Heroes Park” to be gazetted as parkland. This was successful and on 1/5/1984 it was renamed ”Jack Cook Memorial Park”. Submission for this re-naming was made by Toowong Harriers & Toowong RSL sub-branch.
Clubhouse erected. Dedication by Denver Beanland MLA.
2011 – 2015
January 2011 flood leaves Jack Cook Memorial Park completely underwater and the clubhouse flooded to the ceiling – extensive restorative works carried out over a number of years.
On 11th December, 2015 - Re-opening of Jack Cook Memorial Park after 2011 floods & restoration of the park. Opened by Councillor for Walter Taylor Ward, Mr Julian Simmonds.
Amalgamation of the Toowong Little Athletics Club and Toowong Harriers Athletics Club, now one stronger organisation, Toowong Harriers Inc.
The Club is thriving with a Membership number of approximately 300 athletes and a continuing focus on the pursuit of Excellence, Respect and Friendship in Athletics and the extension of pathways for younger athletes into a lifetime of health and wellbeing.
Researched and Written by Mrs Julia Anderson
“A Queensland Athlete”, The Queenslander (Bne. 1866-1939) 6/11/1897
“The Sports Observer”,18/5/1901
“Amateur Athletics”, The Brisbane Courier 1/7/1918
“Toowong Harriers Rejuvenated” by Eventime, Daily Standard, Bne 4/1/1922
“Reminiscences from the Diary of An Old Sport”, The Telegraph, Bne. 30/1/1940
“ The 11 December 2015 Re-Opening of Jack Cook Park” Toowong & District Historical Society Inc., report by Genean Wildesen.
“Robert Cribb”, Wikipedia
“One Hundred Years of Sport & Recreation in Qld”, C.G. Austin 25/6/1959
“Charles Campbell 1873-1955” Billion Graves Record